Trucking Company Licensing and Permit Requirements

Trucking Company

Every business has certain licensing and permits requirements. The trucking industry is no exception and benefits from the experience of Transguard truck insurance. Before you launch your business, you must meet certain government regulations.


In order to drive a commercial truck, the driver needs a commercial driver’s license that matches the class of vehicle driving. There are three main classes of the vehicle corresponding to different load weights and vehicle sizes. Beyond a CDL, the trucks need a USDOT and MC number both obtained through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.


Depending on where you operate the truck, you may need a Standard Carrier Alpha Code, especially for government work. Heavy loads are subject to additional taxation. Businesses also need to have an International Fuel Tax Agreement decal for fuel reporting.


As seen on, there are inevitable liabilities when running a trucking company. Once you have the permits and licenses to operate, make sure you have some basic insurance policies to cover your liabilities. Trucking companies need a BOC-3 form when operating in multiple states. This form comes into play should your company be sued somewhere other than your home state.

Transguard truck insurance can help you cover your liabilities, so you can start hauling loads. Trucking remains a vital part of the American economy. Jumpstart your new business with these basic requirements.